POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Any thoughts on this... : Re: Any thoughts on this... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any thoughts on this...
From: Darren New
Date: 26 May 2008 13:10:17
Message: <483aeef9$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> That is going to fail and annoy users even with slight deviations from
> the bounding box face due to parallax errors.  If the user tries to
> click on a small area, your algorithm will give the wrong place and the
> user won't be able to click on buttons etc.

FWIW, if you're too far away from the object in 3D, the interface
doesn't let you click on it at all. It's not like you're firing a weapon
or something. :-)

Come to think of it, you might want to consider how to make it work if
you're firing a weapon. I can see people wanting to use this sort of
thing to determine where on the dart board your dart landed, etc. But
that would be an entirely different algorithm, since you're no longer
talking about the screen and camera, and for that matter you're no
longer even necessarily running the code on the same server the client
is connected to.

You'll need to figure out how to handle it if you're standing on one
server and the object you're touching is on another server, too.

At least make the API capable of supporting those, so you don't get the
PHP affect.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"